Jul 8, 2011

A Taste of India at Tahoora in Chicago

Ghee is used mostly in Arab and Asian cuisines. However, ghee is used in countries all over the world.  On a recent trip, I encountered a new version of ghee or I thought that I had.  While visiting a friend, she pulled out a very large container of ghee.  It was freshly made and I begged her to tell me where she got such a prize.  It was purchased at a place on West Devon Ave in Chicago called Tahoora.  This place is wonderful.  We wanted to go there for breakfast but things didn't work out like we wanted.  Instead, we came later and had chai tea.  They sell Indian sweets.  Besides that they make desi ghee. Desi means that it is of Indian origin. The only ghee I have ever been able to get was in a jar.  The color is very different than what comes in the jar, the taste is too.


Next, we ordered halwa puri, which is a typical Indian breakfast. It consists of  aloo ki bhuiya (potatoes with spices),halwa (sweetened semolina with orange or yellow food coloring), Cho lay (garbanzo beans with spices), and a yogurt sauce and all eaten with bread called puri.  Just like Morocco, no utensils needed, the bread is your fork and spoon. 

My friend Sabrina made halwa one morning for breakfast along with eggs and paratha, which is a flaky flat bread.




picture came from here.





7 comments:

  1. ghee is very similar to moroccan smen i use it as a subsitute sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had smen. I need to learn to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will send you a recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. SMEN
    1 lbs unsalted butter
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tbsp sea salt
    in medium pot melt butter over low heat. wrap oregano in a square of cheese cloth and tie up w/ kitchen twine. put sachet in butter. simmer butter until it turns a clear golden color and white sediment settles on the bottom. strain butter through a cheese cloth 1- 2x. transfer to a hot sterilized wide mouthed pint sized jar. add salt and mix well. let stand in a cool place until butter become pungent (1-2 weeks)

    this is the recipe i use, the butter should slowly turn to look like the ghee in your picture. i also do not put it in the fridge i keep it in my pantry. i also make 4x the amount so that the other jars can cure while i use the first one. it take some practice when i first started 1 or 2x it did not really set like it was supposed too, but i still used it
    GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sending me this. I can hardly wait to try it. Do you mind me putting this on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DO NOT MIND
    YOU SHOULD PUT PRESERVED LEMONS ON HERE TOO

    ReplyDelete

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744