Jul 24, 2011

Moroccan Yogurt called Raib

What makes this yogurt unique is the use of orange blossom water.  I like just a hint of the flavor in my recipes.  As an American, the use of this product is something that I am no accustomed to using or tasting.  The adventurer that I am, I am willing to try something before saying no that I don't like it.This recipe is easy but is time consuming.  However, you will not spend hours in the kitchen.


 
Ingredients:

3 cups of milk, you can use lowfat or whole milk
6 oz of yogurt, make sure it has "live and active cultures" on the label, or you can use a yogurt starter
1/4 cup of sugar
2 TBS of orange blossom water, I only used 1 tsp (optional ingredient)
6 custard cups 


Pour two cups of milk and the sugar into a saucepan and put on medium heat.  Slowly bring the milk to a boil.  Once it has come to a boil, take off the burner and pour the mixture into a large bowl.  Leave there until the milk is lukewarm. Once lukewarm,add the orange blossom water and stir.  Next, take the remaining milk (1 cup) and yogurt and mix together, then add to the lukewarm milk mixture. Now it is ready to set up.  Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F for about 10 minutes. While the oven is preheating, pour the mixture into 6 custard cups.  Place the cups in a shallow baking dish.  Cover the dish with aluminum foil.  Turn off the oven and place the dish inside.  This will stay there for 8-15 hours.  The longer it stays, the more dense the yogurt will be.  Once the yogurt is firm, remove from the oven and cover with foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool, for about 2-4 hours.  Serves 6. You can eat it plain or with fruit. Enjoy!


You can make this recipe minus the orange blossom water or add another flavoring. I am thinking of using orange flavored oil the next time. 

4 comments:

  1. was it tasty?
    Isabelle yasmina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! I didn't use much of the orange blossom water, because I am not too fond of the taste. This yogurt I am going to make again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRADITIONAL RAIP IS MADE WITH WILD ARTICHOKES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes dear reader I am aware of this. Thanks for letting everyone else know.

    ReplyDelete

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744