Jul 25, 2011

Moroccan Smen or Preserved Butter with Oregano

I have been wanting to make smen for a very long time.  One of my readers provided me with a recipe and I could hardly wait to make it.  Smen is used to add additional flavor to Moroccan dishes such as tajines or couscous or anything else that you want to add more flavor. I have to admit that the first time I made it, the butter burned and is a dark brown.  So, I tried it again the same day.  This time it looks like it is supposed to.



Ingredients:
1 lb of unsalted butter
2 TSP dried oregano
1 TBS sea salt 
Cheese cloth
cooking twine
Pint sized sterile jar, wide mouth


In a medium pot melt butter over low heat. Wrap the oregano in a square of cheese cloth and tie with kitchen twine.  Put the oregano sachet in with the melted butter.


Simmer the butter\oregano until a white sediment settles on the bottom of the pot, about 25-30 minutes.



Strain butter through some cheese cloth into a hot sterilized wide mouthed pint sized jar. I used a large mixing bowl with a spout and put cheese cloth on top with a rubber band.  I strained it twice. 


Next pour the golden liquid into your storage jar.  



Add the salt and mix well.  Let it stand in a cool place until butter becomes pungent. About 1-2 weeks. I can hardly wait to try this.  Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. NICE JOB!!!!
    THERE IS ANOTHER YOU CAN MAKE THAT IS FASTER BUT IT DOES NOT LAST AS LONG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to post another picture when the smen is set up. It should be finished turning a light yellow color by next weekend. I made couscous teffaya today and wanted to use it so badly, but sadly I have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. because of this post I impressed my husband lol The other day I was gething ready for Ramadan and looked up in my Moroccan cook book and said ohh Smen I know what that is ...thanks
    Isabelle
    Ramadan Mubarak to all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you!!! Ramadan Mubarak to you as well.

    ReplyDelete

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744