Jun 11, 2011

Japanese Shibori or Better Known as Tie-Dye

Just recently, I came across some silk scarves at a natural fiber day at Salomon Farm.  These scarves were dyed with a Japanese technique called Shibori on silk. Who doesn't like silk?  It is one of my favorite fabrics.  I talked with Ronia Marie Kreig, the artist, for some time about her scarves.  She told me that if I wanted me to see more of her work to go to the Museum of Art, some of her items are on display there.  Wow! I was impressed.  I raced to the museum and this is what I saw.


The lovely model is the young lady who works at the museum.


Here is a close up view of the scarf I went to see. It is made of silk and was over 90 inches long.  Oh, how I wanted to take this home with me.  But, my friend the price was too dear.


Did you know that there were may ways to get the designs that you want?


You can create a pattern by binding, stitching, folding, twisting, compressing or capping, which is known as tie-dying.



There were circles...


and squares...


and a variety of colors in soft hues...


But which one shall I choose? 

If you are interested in any of these lovely pieces contact Ronia Kreig at rmkreig@frontier.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744