Feb 6, 2013

3114 14th Ave

My brother telling me to shut up
As we get older, it becomes harder to remember exact dates and locations from your past. The street that you imagined living on was not the one where you really lived, at least that was the case for me. I thought we lived on 13th Avenue but in actuality we lived on 14th Avenue in 1967 while living in Chattanooga.


 
It came to me over the weekend that I hadn't looked through the city directories at the library to try and find my parents. Plus, I would have all of our previous addresses. Why hadn't I thought of this before? Mom and Dad had a moving spree (mostly Dad wanting to move) early on in their marriage. One year, I found them in two city directories in different states. Several times they moved back and forth between Indiana and Tennessee.


My head was spinning just trying to find them in a directory somewhere. I still cannot find them from 1960-1963 and 1970-1971. I believe that they were living in a small city that may not have had a directory. I love the research, it is challenging, it is fulfilling...ah genealogy.




2 comments:

  1. During spells of nostalgia I love to search on Google Earth for places that I lived while growing up. Some of the homes no longer exist, and one tiny village is overgrown with bushes and weeds. The first school I attended is no longer there nor the town, most of the homes were relocated with the help of the Federal Government after two floods within a month, and the old town was used as part of a movie that was filmed there and downtown was burned to the ground. Sad for me I would have loved to have gone back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on Google Earth too,to look at the house that we used to live in. It faintly looks the way that I remember it. There is still the chain link fence and the staircase up to the second floor apartment, but everything else has changed. When I lived in Chattanooga, I looked and looked for the address, but didn't find it.
    It is sad that the whole town is gone where you grew up. I hope that you have lots of pictures from there.

    ReplyDelete

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744