Apr 2, 2012

Belly Dance in Morocco: Controversy or Delight

The third Belly Dance Festival in Marrakech has stirred up something this year. It is to take place May 10 - 14 in Marrakech.  Apparently, there are some Israeli participants and the other contestants are in an uproar over it.  In my opinion I don't think that having Israeli participants is the real problem, but women showing a bit of skin is. There are those who are in authority that feel belly dancing is indecent and encourages the "propagation of vice" in Morocco.  Sounds a bit like Saudi Arabia to me. Before long there will be "morality police" lining the streets to make sure that people are following all of the religious rules.  Besides all of the uproar and hoopla, I would love to be able to go to this event. Wouldn't it be a wonderful experience to see women dance in the true form of belly dance?   The only thing I don't like is all of the hair flinging.  What has that got to do with Belly Dancing? I see Moroccan women do that all of the time at weddings. 



Someone by the name of Hakima who owns a studio to teach belly dance in Europe said this about us westerners:

“No matter how Westerners try, they will never master belly dancing like we Easterners do.”

I think that I may get some attitude here...because I know that she is talking to us. We can shake our stuff with the best of 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744