Sep 5, 2011

Appreciating Native American Art

Yesterday, I was able to spend some time away while learning about a people who are "Native" to America.  Yes, I am talking about the Native American.  A people group who were pushed out of their own land onto a land that is not fertile and the living conditions were hard and harsh (still is true today). Museums are a good place to learn about culture.  Indianapolis' Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art is a great place to visit.  I saw some of the most beautiful paintings and sculptures.  I hope you don't mind that I share some of what I saw. 


This is called "Still Water Crossing" by Daniel Smith.  When I saw this painting I had to sit down and look at it for a long time.  I thought that the artist did a wonderful job with the reflection of the water. 


This is "Taos Pueblo" by Georgia O'Keefe.  It is amazing how the houses in the picture look like some houses that are in Morocco today. 


This is Howard Terpning's "Blessing from the Medicine Man".  My photograph does not do this painting justice.  The way the artist was able to capture the light is just amazing.  I had to look at this picture for a long time too.


Robert Griffing "Secrets of the Dark Forest" is very beautiful.  Again, I liked the way that the artist was able to capture the light.  I imagined myself in the forest when I was observing this painting.  I could actually hear the wind whispering in my ear. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744