Sep 11, 2011

African American Artist Kadir Nelson

Today was "be a tourist in your own hometown" in the city where I live.  The Old Fort was open, the museum, the Botanical Gardens, and lots of other places.  I love paintings. So, I meandered downtown to the museum. Kadir Nelson is an exceptional artist.  He has a wonderful eye for detail while capturing the spirit of the individual.  It seemed as if I was looking into Jackie Robinson's eyes and feeling the excitement he must have felt for a dream to come true or feel the dust as the ball player slid into home plate.



Picture came from here.

 A graduate of Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York, he has created images for Polygram, Nike, Sports Illustrated, The New York Times, The New Yorker and Time Magazine. Most notably, Nelson was the Conceptual Artist for Steven Spielberg's feature film, "Amistad", and the companion book, "Give Us Free".

 

 "The Dugout"


"Safe at Home"


"Ese Hombre"


An album cover for Michael Jackson


This is one very talented man.

2 comments:

  1. wow talented artist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I felt privileged to see his paintings in person and at my local museum.

    ReplyDelete

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744