Feb 23, 2014

Eboo Patel: Acts of Faith

One of my classmates attends a Muslim Journeys class that meets once a month at the local college. When she found out that I had been married to a Muslim, she invited me to the meeting hoping that I would be able to take away something positive.  Before the gathering, I was given Eboo Patel's book Acts of Faith to read and a group of about 20 people showed up to discuss his work. 

Photograph by Nubar Alexanian
Mr. Patel is deeply involved in Interfaith work, but this book is really more about a journey, a coming to terms with your own beliefs. He encourages everyday people like you and me to explore other religions so that we will become a stronger believer in our own faith. But first, we must have dialogue and find a common value between the religions. Then we can work together to help mankind. A service that is to be done for His glory and not ours. What I thought would be a boring read turned out to be one of encouragement and inspiration.  


Here is a quote from my favorite poet which is very fitting for this post:


I am not from the east or the west
not up from the ground
or out of the ocean
my place is placeless
a trace of the traceless
I belong to the Beloved.

Rumi

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744