Aug 27, 2013

Orange Shortbread Cookies


When I discovered orange flavored oil at the grocer, I felt like I was in bakers heaven.  There is so much you can do with flavored oils.  I found a recipe in a book by the "The two fat ladies" Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson called cooking with the two fat ladies to make orange shortbread. I used to watch their program many years ago and collected a number of their recipes to try.  I am really pleased with this recipe and shall be making it over and over again. 
  
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of flour
1/3 cup of sugar
1 1/3 cup of ground almonds
grated zest of 3 oranges
1 tsp vanilla extract
4-6 drops of orange oil if you don't have orange rind or use both, which is what I did
granulated sugar for sprinkling on top

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and mix until it forms a dough.  Roll the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.  Place in the fridge and chill overnight. 

Take the dough out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for about an hour to soften. When it is a little soft roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick.  Use a cookie cutter, I used a 2 1/2 inch cutter. Line a pan with parchment paper and arrange the cut out shapes.  Place back in the fridge for an hour.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes or until they are golden brown.  Remove and place on a rack to cool.  Store in air tight containers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744