Mar 3, 2013

Scotch Eggs


A few months ago while looking around on Facebook, I saw Scotch eggs for the first time.  I had never heard of them before, but they sure looked good.  Who would have ever thought of wrapping a boiled egg in sausage ? You can have these as a snack or part of a meal. I searched for a decent recipe and after several attempts I have found the right way of making them for me.  Besides, I have an English neighbor who helped me out a bit. English sausage doesn't have near the amount of fat in their sausage as we do.  Traditionally, Scotch eggs are fried.  I cringed at the thought of putting something that is already loaded with fat in a deep fryer.  I tried it anyway and failed several times. Each time I fried them the sausage next to the egg didn't get quite done. Then they stuck to the pan. The sausage would be crispy on the outside and nearly raw on the inside. It was a mess. There are three rejects in my refrigerator right now. However, it was just too greasy for my palate. I finally baked them and I am pleased with the result. They are still crispy but not dripping with oil. For those of you who don't eat pork you can use ground turkey or chicken and add some sage and thyme to spice it up a bit.

Ingredients:

4 large eggs, hard boiled
1 lb sausage
flour
1/2 - 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs

Preheat over to 375 degrees. After the eggs are cooked, peel and set aside. Take out three plates or bowls.  Add enough flour to one plate to dredge the eggs through. Add the breadcrumbs to the second plate, and the last one is for holding them until you are ready to place in the oven.   Roll each egg in the flour.  Next, divide the sausage into four equal parts.  Press the sausage into the palm of your hand and smooth it outwards.  Place the egg in the middle and wrap the sausage around it.  Pinching together any open spots. Make it somewhat thick but not too thick. Dredge the eggs through the breadcrumbs and place in a baking pan or skillet.  Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, turning them every 10 minutes to brown on all sides.  Enjoy! 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744