Aug 10, 2012

Aebelskivers: A Danish Delight


Did you know that my co-workers make fun of me?  Yes, they do. I am considered a Culinary Oddity. I come to work and tell them about all of the different foods that I make. I bring in things so that they can taste my latest new find. Would you believe that some of them have even had fights over who was going to get the leftover tajine that I had brought in the day before. So, I am not really the odd one, am I?  I have discovered aebelskivers, also spelled ebelskivers. They are tiny pancakes that are cooked in a special pan from Denmark. I found a recipe in our local Sunday newspaper and have kept the recipe until I could find a pan. I had an ordeal with just trying to purchase the pan.  A company sent me a aebelskiver made of cast iron.  When it arrived the handle was broken. Really? It is iron for pitty sake. They shipped the pan in a double vanilla bubble wrap envelope.  I was furious. The pan was obviously shipped damaged. While the company claimed it came from the manufacturer in that condition. I sent it back at their expense.  Then I ordered another pan from a different company and it arrived safely and in perfect condition.  Enough ranting about the pan.  The best part of all of this is eating this wonderful little pancake.  The recipe makes about 48.  I ate eight of them all by myself, with guilt setting in. What am I going to do with the rest of these, I thought.  I then took the same amount to my neighbor and she gobbled those up too.  The remainder I took over to my sister.  It was roughly 30 abelskivers that I hand delivered for her breakfast. She ate all of them by herself. 

Ingredients:

3 eggs, beaten
2 cups of milk
2 cups of cake flour
2 tsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Crisco and butter in equal amounts mixed together for greasing the pan
powdered sugar, for dusting


Combine the eggs, milk, flour sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until the batter is similar in consistency to pancake batter. Add more flour if needed.



Place the aebelskiver pan over medium heat.  Add enough of the crisco and butter mixture to the molds until each is about 1/3 full.  When the mixture sizzles, add enough batter to reach the mold top.  Do this for each of the molds. 


Cook for about 3 minutes or until a brown shell has formed around the bottom of each mold.  Flip the abelskivers.


Cook for 3 minutes more or until well browned on other side.  Remove from pan.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve warm and with extra powdered sugar for dipping. After you eat half, dip the rest in the extra sugar. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744