Oct 14, 2015

1812: The war that we don't remember much about


History was not my forte when I was in school. Actually, I dreaded history as much as I did math. The teacher gave facts in such a mundane way that I lost interest early on.  I remember talking about the various wars, but I don't recall ever discussing the War of 1812. Not ever. But it could of happened on a day that I laid my head down on the desk and drifted off until the bell rang. 



I didn't really become interested in history until I started researching my family's lineage. Now I know a lot more than I ever did.  When a friend from work told me about the re-enactment that takes place in La Fontaine, Indiana every autumn, I jumped at the opportunity to learn something about a war that I knew little about.


In a nutshell this is the three main points of the war: 1) Americans would be kidnapped, the ones with English accents, and would be impressed to serve on the side of the British. 2) The British interfered with American trade and France. For some reason they wanted us to pay them a tax in order to trade with the French. 3) Finally, the English stirred up Indian warfare.  


One of the good things that the British did was that they blocked slave ships from coming to the United States and any slave who escaped to Canada was considered free.  


On June 1, 1812 war was declared, lives were lost, and the Indians were defeated. Then the move westward began.  


My nephews and I sat and watched as the re-enactment took place and I wondered if there could have been another way of settling the differences. 


For some reason each people group thinks that they are supreme and expect the rest to bow down to them, which causes a lot of strife. 


And yet, war is still prevalent in our world today.  


This reminds me of a quote many use from Rodney King, "Can we all get along?" 


No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744