May 24, 2012

Saffron is it Worth the Cost?

Today, I gave a friend of mine a cooking lesson.  She wanted to learn how to cook in a tajine.  I was most happy to help her.  As I was getting things ready, I noticed that I didn't have any saffron.  I haven't had to buy any for over a year.  I went to the store and this is what I saw.  The package was for 0.5 grams at $8.99.  The amount was so small that it was put in a small plastic bag instead of a bottle or small container.  If I would have bought an ounce it would have cost me $510.63.  I could practically take a trip to spain and pick it myself for that price. 

4 comments:

  1. ouchhhhhhhhh to pricey ...there is also a cheaper
    saffron called American saffron I don't believe its the best but ...cheaper
    Isabelle Yasmina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just found some Mexican Saffron at Walmart called Sazon by Goya and then there is the saffron food coloring. I am not crazy about the food coloring, but I have used it for the color only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth much more than the price...the darker the saffron the more potent it is. The best comes from Iran, it looks red before it's dissolved. At one time it cost more per ounce than gold. Saffron has anti-tumor properties and is being researched (as "crocus extract") for cancer treatment, it was said that as little as one treatment may cure contained tumors and leukemia. As a warning like many herbs that are anti-tumor, pregnant women shouldn't consume it at all as it can cause miscarriage but the ancient traditions of Persians saffron rice is served to a new mother to help clean her womb after childbirth. I like to have saffron rice about once a week. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the darker that it is the better. I refuse to buy the poor quality and I really don't like to use the saffron food coloring because of the chemicals. I think that herbs and spices should be used more in our daily cooking and maybe we wouldn't have so many health issues. Thanks for sharing Patti.

    ReplyDelete

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744