Jan 21, 2012

Job Fulfillment: Reality or Illusion



How many people do you know who are truly happy with their job?  Are you working in the vocation that you have always dreamed of? The other day, I was talking to a lovely lady about work in general and she described a position in a company that she held for 10 years, but it wasn't like work for her. Tears welled up in her eyes as she told me that her position was eliminated.  She was in her element while working in this position.  She wrote articles to her hearts content and was doing what she truly loved. Yet so many people have jobs to just get by, not feeling any sense of fulfillment. I need money, I need insurance, I need a roof over my head and have to feed my family, they tell themselves.  All the while dreading the next day and upon arriving at work, they are waiting for quitting time. 


Is it the American dream to have a fulfilling dream or just an illusion? The reason I ask this is that people in various parts of the world have no choice.  To have a job is the greatest of luxuries.  I was reading an article the other day about Moroccan students who have degrees still find it hard to get a job in their own country. Some even go to great lengths of setting themselves on fire in protest. We, here in America, cannot imagine doing something so drastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744