Sep 22, 2013

Jessie McCallum's Plain Shortbread



I've never been much of a cookie baker.  However, this recipe is very simple, plus delicious.  My neighbor, Margaret, gave me her Aunt's recipe who is from Scotland.  Of course, I had to try and make it. The sad thing is I don't follow directions well.  The shortbread is supposed to be cut into strips or squares and I used cookie cutters because I didn't have a tin pan to press the dough into. The taste is still the same no matter how you cut it. Please don't tell Margaret.

Ingredients:

14 oz  (about 1 3/4 cup) all purpose flour
2 oz (about 1/2 cup) corn or rice flour
1/2 lb buter
4 oz (about 1/2 cup) caster or granulated sugar

Cream butter and sugar, then gradually work in sieved flour until all is used up.  Press mixture into a greased tin and flatten with a fork and mark, about 1/2 inch thick.  Bake in a preheated oven at 275 F until golden,not brown. 

When baked, leave in the pan a bit to cool and while it is still a bit warm cut into strips or squares.  Then you should be able to lift out easily with a knife and cool properly on a wire rack and to harden.  Enjoy! Serve with tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744