Apr 6, 2013

DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and Me

I have been researching my family history for a very long time, especially the Campbell line.  On Wednesday of this week, I met with the DAR rep.  I produced the long awaited documents that seemed to take centuries to find. Now, I have all of my generations connected all the way back to the Revolution.


I love my southern heritage. Sometimes it can be irritating, especially when it comes to names. My grandfather John Wesley Campbell, went by his middle name Wesley. He put Wesley as his first name on the marriage record.  I had a marriage date of September 28, 1935, but had no idea where my grandparents were married or where I had gotten their marriage date. Out of desperation, I started calling courthouses in Georgia until I found the county where they were married.  Luckily, I only had to call two places until I found the right county.  Then I started thinking about all of the wasted time I put into searching when the answer was only a phone call away. I got upset with myself.  Then started feeling really stupid for not having thought of calling before.  Isn't learning where to look part of  the whole process?  We keep looking and looking and eventually find what we need. Shortcuts are out there, I just didn't know about them.  A majority of my research has been on line. The only courthouse I dealt with was here. My family of origin is from a state that is over 500 miles away, I had to do research at my local library or on the Internet. With determination and persistence, I have jumped many hurdles and crossed the finish line.


Azzie Lee, Margie, John Wesley Campbell
In July, I will be submitting my application to the DAR for approval and wait for acceptance.  In the autumn, there will be a ceremony here in Fort Wayne. When I first started this genealogical journey, I never thought that I would be able to go back as far into my lineage as I have.  My mother would be so proud! Because it is her family that I am tracing.  What is my next goal? To go across the pond. I want to know who came here and why. I think that I can reach that goal too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744