Apr 20, 2018

Shhh...I secretly have a crush on Jimmy Stewart


We've all had a crush or two on an actor and I am no exception. It all started a few months ago when The Philadelphia Story was showing at a local theater. They show old movies on the big screen while the audience reclines in large comfy seats.  I have seen the movie several times and never tire of watching it. The second movie was Vertigo. Since it was an Alfred Hitchcock movie I thought that I would preview the movie before I actually saw it in the theater.  Me and scary movies don't get on well together and I may not want to watch it. It was then that I realized I have missed a great actor. 

James Stewart was around 50 years old at the time he starred in Vertigo, which was out in theaters in 1958, two years before I was born. When I was growing up the actors were Burt Reynolds, John Travolta, Tom Selleck, Clint Eastwood, and lots more.


But it was his eyes that made me first take notice. They were an intense blue and I was immediately attracted to him. As I watched this classic film I saw a soft spoken man who wore a suit as everyday attire. His manners were masculine yet not brutish, and he leaned down to talk to those who were not as tall as he while looking directly into their eyes, giving his full attention. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. 

Jimmy Stewart was popular 30 years before my time. He started his acting career in the 30's during The Depression. His career was put on hiatus when he signed up for military duty, and it was during this time that he became a pilot. A love of his that continued afterwards. 

Since Vertigo, I have seen Rear Window, Harvey, The Shop Around the Corner, It's a Wonderful Life, The Philadelphia Story, Destry Rides Again, and The Glen Miller Story.  This is only a few compared to the numerous films that he starred in during his acting career. 

Maybe we should pay more  attention to those actors who helped shape the industry as we know it today. He was an actor who kept his clothes on and still remained popular.  I like that idea. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744