Nov 11, 2013

English Sausage Rolls




We have sausage rolls here in the States.  There are massive amounts of meat in them, at least, that is what I have observed. I like meat, but not a mound of it.  When I saw a recipe that Jamie Oliver came up with; I decided to give it a try.  Click on the link and it will take you to his web site. The recipe calls for higher-welfare pork sausages. Higher welfare means that they are organic.  I used Irish bangers from Fresh Market.  They have a lot of imports there.  If you cannot find imported sausage, use any sausage that you like or use ground lamb, chicken or beef. 

I did make this recipe two ways.  I asked my neighbor, who is English, how she makes her sausage rolls.  She told me that traditionally they don't season theirs, but roll the sausage up in the pastry and bake it. I prefer it with a little spice.  



Ingredients:

1-2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh sage, leaves picked
2-3 TBS breadcrumbs, I used Italian
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 lb sausage or any ground meat you prefer
1 package ready made puff pastry
1 egg, beaten


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the onions.  Cook until they are golden brown. Next add the sage leaves, cook for a couple of minutes or until crispy (crispy is my preference).  Take off the heat and set aside to cool. Crumple the sage when it is cool.

Remove the casings from the sausage and transfer to a mixing bowl.  Add the sage, onion, nutmeg,and breadcrumbs. Mix well.

Put the pastry onto a floured surface. Roll out into a big rectangle, then split it down the middle so that you have two.Shape the sausage mixture into logs and place on the pastry about an inch from the edge.  Brush the end with egg and roll it up. Seal the end with egg.  Cut into whatever size you like.  Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with egg.  Bake about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  This is great with a salad.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744