Feb 20, 2012

Moroccan Lentils with Swiss Chard or Abess bil Silq

No matter how hard you try lentils are just not that pretty to photograph.  Trust me though, the taste makes up for the visual any day.  Lately, the sun has been out and I feel full of life and want to cook.  Do you feel dreadful in winter?  I do and I find it hard to shake.  Some days it is all I can do to drag myself out of bed.  This dish is very tasty and healthy for you.  I have never put Swiss chard in with lentils before and found the greens to be not only pretty but pleasant tasting as well.  This is an easy recipe and I tweaked it a little to suit my taste. 



Moroccan Lentils with Swiss Chard or Abess bil Silq

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups lentils
2-3 TBS olive oil
1 TBS ghee, optional
1 onion, finely chopped
1 TBS cilantro, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken bouillon cubes, optional
1 tsp paprika
1 ½ tsp cumin
Salt\pepper to taste
4 cups of water, more if needed
8-10 leaves of  Swiss chard, cut into thin slices
Lemon juice per your taste, I didn’t add any

In a soup pan on medium heat add the olive oil, ghee, onion, garlic, cilantro, bouillon cubes, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Simmer for a couple minutes to bring out the aroma of the spices and herbs.   Next, add the lentils and sauté for another minute.  Finally, add the water and bring to a boil.  Once it comes to a boil turn down a little to medium\low and let cook for about 15-30 minutes.  Once the lentils are nearly done add the Swiss chard and cook until the lentils are tender.  This will not be like a soup.  It is intended to eat with bread as the utensil.  Serve with crispy bread or Moroccan Khobz.  Enjoy! 


Cooks Note:  I found that adding the bouillon cubes and the ghee gave the lentils more flavor. If you would rather have this as soup add more water.  In cooking there are no rules. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744