Oct 7, 2011

Home Made Tortillas

The other day I ran out of bread at home.  I cannot eat without bread, I told myself.  So, I made some tortillas.  They are surprisingly easy and taste better than store bought.  The bread is soft and pliable.  I topped it with ground meat, cilantro, onions, tomatoes and taco sauce.  You can also eat these with scrambled eggs or any filling that you like. 




Tortillas

2 cups of flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 – 3/4 cup of milk

Mix all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.  Mix well.  Knead for 5 minutes until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.  Cover dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 15 minutes. Pre-heat an iron griddle on medium to high heat.  Then divide the dough into 8 equal parts.  Roll out on to a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. The best size to aim for is a 5-6 inch circle. Cook 1 – 1½ minutes on each side until lightly browned.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744