Aug 28, 2016

Art in the Park weekend at the Old Fort

It was humid and hot today. But that did prevent the natives from getting out and enjoying the yearly Art in the Park two day display of fine art in the city. However, I spent most of my time at the Old Fort.  


Back in the 80's I used to go to The Fort and take pictures of all of the interpreters. This was the site of the original fort that was built in 1815.  I would fill albums with pictures from this place.  


Now it is only open on special occasions. I stood around a while and observed the interaction the interpreters had with each other. 


This took me back in memory of my trip earlier in the year to Colonial Williamsburg where the audience was actively involved in the presentation. I was ready to pack up and move by the time I left that day because I wanted to be around people that appreciate history.  


The Shawnee Indian tribe was represented  today. The interpreter traveled from Cincinnati, Ohio to participate this weekend. I made the mistake of asking him about his "costume" he grimaced and I had to change my word to "clothing". Then I was given an explanation of the skins that were used to cover his feet and legs and got a peak at his loin cloth. 



I, then, walked a few blocks to where the streets were lined with food vendors and those who were selling their creations.  Overall, I preferred the atmosphere of days gone past.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744