Dec 16, 2014

Doors


I have a fascination with doors.  The entrance to a house should reflect the character of the occupants. A few months ago I went to a art fair in Roanoke.  Forgetting that I had tried to take a picture of the moon a few days before the exposure was needless to say extremely light.  I was so disappointed.  When I had the opportunity to go to this city again I made sure to take another picture.  The house is stone with a lovely garden in the front.  I slowly walked up the drive and hoped that a dog would not come around the corner and topple me over. That is one of my biggest fears while out photographing. 


A few blocks away I saw this door with its extra large hinges.  The building was vacant but it still retained its character.  In a way it kind of reminds me of a Dickens novel. I imagined seeing workers standing about talking before and after work. Maybe it is because the door is antique in appearance.  I don't know, but I like the look of it.  We don't really value doors much anymore, especially old ones.  It is much easier to put in a new steel one than to maintain wood.  I would rather have the nostalgia of the place than to try and be modern.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744