Dec 4, 2013

Galette or Pear Tart


 I've had two colds in two months and haven't been sick for three years.  Sorry, that I haven't been on board here this last week.  Today, I felt well enough to cook something or starve.  Well, we all know that it would take a while, but, anyway I am excited about the galette that I cooked today.  It is super easy and I even made my own crust.

One of my co-workers gave me three quart jars of canned pears that her mother cans and then she brings them back from Alabama. I kept trying to think of a way to use the pears. One of my friends made a Galette out of apples that were about ready to go bad. My friend said that it was extremely easy to make.  So, I thought that I would give it a try. 



Standard pie crust: 

1/3 cup of shortening or 1/3 cup of lard
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 TBS cold water
1 beaten egg
sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
canned pears, apples, or blueberries (fresh is best, but if you don't have it use the canned)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.  Add the shortening and rub the flour and shortening together with your fingertips until the mixture feels like sand.  Next, add the cold water one tablespoon at a time.  Mix with a fork until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl.Form the pastry into a ball.  Place on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to the size of a dinner plate, cutting the dough to the size of the plate, the dough will be very thin.  Discard any leftover dough.

Oil the bottom of a baking pan. Place the dough in the pan and begin to fill the center of the pie crust with fruit, leaving about 2 inches or so around the edges so that you can fold the remaining dough edges around the fruit. Every couple of inches put a pleat in the pastry all the way around.  Brush with the beaten egg. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, then turn down to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream or warm custard cream*.  Enjoy!

This serves about 4 people

Cooks note:  If you are using fresh fruit, you will need to add 1/4 cup of sugar or more if you like to the fruit. Put a pat of butter on top for extra flavor. 

*My neighbor served Bird's Custard sauce that was found in the English section at our local grocery store.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744