Jul 24, 2012

Tajine\Tagine Bel Homus or Tajine\Tagine of Chickpeas


I have been cooking so much that I had to solicit help in eating all of the food. My sister graciously accepted the offer to come over nightly to help me eat these wonderful dishes.  I have also asked my neighbor to come and eat as well.  Of course neither one of them said no. I don't blame them.  I served this tajine with meatballs and a cucumber salad.  All of which will be posted here.  I like this recipe very much.  I guess that I say this for every recipe I put on here.  I am being sincere though.  This is very good food and my family never says no to my invitations. However, I think that after all is over and done with we will be going on a very strict diet and exercise regime.  I am getting really fat.  


Ingredients:

3 TBS olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp harissa or 1/4 tsp red chili pepper or cayenne
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 chicken bouillon cube
water
salt\pepper to taste
2 TBS each of Italian flat leaf parsley and cilantro, chopped fine
1 tbs ghee or smen
4 cups of chickpeas or use 2 cans of garbanzo beans
1 tsp sugar
2 dashes cinnamon

Soak the chickpeas overnight in water. Rinse and drain the next morning. Place a  pressure cooker on medium heat and add the oil and onion. Simmer until the onion is translucent.  Next add all of the spices, bouillon cube, smen, tomato, parsley, and cilantro. Simmer for about 5 minutes.  Add the garbanzo beans and mix well, simmer for a couple of minutes.  Then add enough water to cover the beans about 2 inches above. Place the lid on the pot and cook on medium to high heat for about 20-30 minutes.  Check the beans at about 20 minutes of cooking.  If the beans are not tender, continue to cook until they are tender.  If the beans become too dry during the cooking process, add a bit more.  It is not to be like soup, but thick enough to eat with bread.  Serve with crispy bread or Khobz.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744