Jan 20, 2015

Inveraray: The place of all things Campbell

Picture came from here
My mother was a Campbell. Unfortunately, she didn't live long enough for her oldest daughter to discover the vastness of her clan and their importance in the communities in which they lived. Did you know that Clan Campbell is one of the largest clans in the world?  In 2013, I traced the Campbell's back to 1728 in Bedford, Virginia to my 8th Great-grandfather Archibald. I have been emotional about this accomplishment on more than one occasion. And yet, I am still searching.  It was then that I decided to join the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). Joining the group was the icing on the cake for me being able to trace my family back to the Revolution. In all honesty, I really just wanted the pin. But there is so much further back in my lineage that I can go.  The Campbell's have been traced to the 1200's. Isn't that amazing?  I am just praying for a break through with my current brick wall. 

Picture came from here

Today, I came across a wonderful episode on PBS called Great Estates Scotland (please click on the link to watch) featuring the present Duke and Duchess. They both seem very down to earth and humble.When I saw the Duke standing at the counter ringing up sales, I nearly laughed out loud when he told a customer that he was the Duke while donning a apron that had his title written on it. I was thrilled to see the estate and especially the castle. Even though my family may not be a direct link to this Campbell line, at least I know approximately the part of the country from which my clan comes from. I watched with envy at the vast expanse of the mountains, valleys, and streams that surrounded the place, imagining myself walking the land.  It was there that I came from with an inner longing to return. I think that it is in my blood.

Picture came from here

When the Campbell's came to America they were looking for a place to live that reminded them of home, so, they settled in Virginia. I have yet to see this state, but I am told it is beautiful there. This summer, if things go as planned, I will make a trip to Virginia to search for documents that will lead me to my link across the pond. Who knows what discoveries I will make. Then the next goal will be Scotland. I am going to renew my passport so that the Universe knows that this is what I want to accomplish. A few prayers won't hurt either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6590297267502949744